A Vata pacifying diet favors warm, cooked foods and hot beverages. Soft and oily foods, such as pasta, cooked cereals and soups should be favored over dry and crunchy foods. Raw vegetables should be avoided, except in small amounts. Avoid cold drinks and frozen desserts such as ice cream, popsicles, frozen yogurt, etc.
Vata Dosha People should Favor the Following Foods
Sufficient quantity, an adequate amount of oil, warm foods and drinks. Have more sweet, sour and salty tasting foods.
• GRAINS: Rice, cooked oatmeal, bulgar, quinoa, spelt, whole wheat and whole grain bread (toasted).
• LEGUMES: Yellow split mung beans (green skin removed) whole mung beans, red lentils, and tofu.
• VEGETABLES: Zucchini, asparagus, carrot, beets, sweet potatoes, artichokes, cucumber, yellow squash, okra, parsley, green peas, fennel, spinach in small amounts and cooked coconut. All should be cooked well so they are soft.
• SPICES: Cumin, ginger, mustard seeds, ajwain, celery seeds, fenugreek, coriander, bay leaves, basil, saffron, Hing (asafoetida), cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, anise, fennel, black pepper (in small amounts), rock salt, lemon juice, dill,mint, garlic, nutmeg, tamarind and soy sauce. All other spices in small amounts.
• FRUITS: All ripe, sweet, and juicy fruits. Dried fruit is better boiled or soaked in water prior to eating. Sweet grapes, banana, melons, plums, cherries, kiwi, peach, apricot, mango, papaya, pomegranate, sweet pineapples, raisins, prunes, sweet oranges, grapefruit, dates and figs, avocado.Apples and pears only if sweet and juicy.• OILS: All types, however, organic Ghee and organic olive oil or ghee sautéed with vata stabilizing spices. Use vata oil for a daily massage before bathing.
• DAIRY & BEVERAGES: Organic cow or goat milk (brought to boil and served hot), butter, ghee, cream, nonaged cheeses (such as ricotta, cottage cheese, and cream cheese), paneer (homemade cheese), rice and almond milk.
• SWEETENERS: Whole, natural/raw cane sugar (in small amounts,) raw honey, jaggery, date sugar.
• NUTS & SEEDS:A ll nuts and seeds (e.g.pistachio, almonds,cashew, walnuts, pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower), soak in water to soften them so they are easier to digest.
Vata Dosha People should Reduce the Following Foods
IN GENERAL: Light, dry, and crunchy foods. Cold foods and drinks. Pungent (hot and spicy) bitter and
• GRAINS: Corn, rye, buckwheat, raw oats, millet.
• LEGUMES: Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), kidney beans, soybeans.
• VEGETABLES: Green leafy vegetables, peas, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, sprouts, onion, radish, and raw vegetables and lettuce.
• SPICES: Avoid cayenne, chili peppers, nd other very hot spices.
• FRUITS: Unripe/sour fruits. Guava, cranberries,p ersimmon.
• DAIRY & BEVERAGES: Soy milk.
• SWEETENERS: White or processed sugar.
• NUTS & SEEDS: Peanuts.