Gyan mudra is said to be the prime mudra in hand mudras. The meaning of the Sanskrit word “Gyan” is Supreme Knowledge. The practice of this mudra gives Supreme knowledge. It has been in practice in meditations for more than thousands of years. And still, it continues to bring peace, calm and spiritual progress to many yogis.
Popularly known as the “mudra of knowledge,” The practice of this mudra enhances brain and knowledge.
The Therapeutic uses of Gyan mudra
When this mudra is used in healing practices it is called as Vayu-Vardhak mudra. It is one of the best mudra to overcome Vata deficiency. It is useful in treating diseases caused due to vata deficiency. The Practice of Vayu-vardhak mudra increases Air element and vata prakrati within the body.
Other Names Of Gyan mudra
How to do Gyan mudra
- Sit in any comfortable posture.
- Join the tips of index finger and thumb finger of both the hands.
- According to the placement of the hands, the name of the mudras changes.
- When you place it on your thigh, it is called Gyan mudra.
- This mudra increase Vāyu or air element within your body. It is also helpful to Improve mind power and leads to spiritual enlightenment.
- The practice of this mudra stimulate the Brain, and all the nervous system is strengthened.
- It also facilitates movements of electrical impulses along nerves.
- This mudrā strengthens pituitary gland that helps to improve entire system of endocrine glands.
- This mudra strengthens all the muscles in the body.
- Other benefits of Gyan mudra are, It reinforces vocal cords, heart, renders the skin and mucous membranes to dry, gives the joints and articular cartilage dry.
Vayu plays an important role in the bodily humor Vata.Increasing air element in the body strengthens Vata humor.If you are in Vata deficiency, Gyan mudrā is the best remedy to overcome it.The persons who are having Vata dosha should do this mudra moderately.
Benefits of Gyan mudra
- The dullness of mind
- Lack of enthusiasm or initiative creativity,
- Loss of memory,
- Deficient brain power.
- Drowsiness, lethargy, mental retardation,
- Nervous weakness,
- Alzheimer’s disease,
- Hypoadrenalism these
- Muscular disorders like myopathies, myasthenia gravies, paresis, paralysis(viz paralytic squint, ptosis, facial palsy, vocal paralysis, respiratory paralysis, monoplane, paraplegia, hemiplegia, quadriplegia, etc.)
Duration of Gyan mudra practice
Daily thirty minutes of practice is enough to get best results of vayu-vardhak mudra. You can do it in any place or anytime.It is preferred that early morning and meditates to get quick results.
Other Variations of Gyan Mudra:
According to the placement of your hand the name and benefits of Gyan mudra changes. Few important variations of this mudra are given below.
Abhaya Gyan mudra
The practice of Abhaya Gyan mudra enables the practitioner to develop the virtue of fearlessness.
Method sits in Padmasana and hands rise half in Gyan mudra. You can see it in picture
Abhaya Gyan mudra will help you to get free from fear and anxiety.
Purana Gyan Mudra:
Side Effects Of Gyan Mudra
I tried my best to explain it in very simple language.If you feel you need more information, please leave a comment or contact me.