Vegetables are the primary source of energy. They contain valuable nutrients, which play a key role in healthy nature of human beings. Vegetables play a key role in benefiting humans and other living organisms both directly and indirectly. They not only give energy but also build and protect us from various diseases.
Types of vegetables and their value
Vegetables facilitate in balancing and regulating the alkaline reserve in the body. They are the main source of varied vitamins and minerals. Vegetables contain ample amounts of Vitamin A, B and C. Improper cooking or over preservation remove the basic energy factors from vegetables.
There are many different types of vegetables. It depends up on the part of the plant that is used as a vegetable.
Each type of vegetable mentioned above has its own significance. Fruits, leaves and stems are highly beneficent with their vitamin, mineral, water and roughage properties. Seeds contain ample amounts of proteins and carbohydrates. Roots are a great source for vitamin B and high energy. Especially roots like legumes, tubers, potatoes and sweet potatoes contains high amount of energy and carbohydrates.
Natural benefits of vegetables
Vegetables as discussed above are a big source for various energy factors. Eating fresh or cooking properly optimizes the intake of the energy aspects. Eating vegetables in the form of salads is highly beneficial. When cooking, one should ensure that it does not lose the energy value.
Below are few of the tips to attain the maximum benefits from vegetables.
- Most of the root vegetable contains their value right under the skin. Do not peel the vegetables unless it is unpalatable or tough.
- Wash thoroughly and cut it into pieces as large as possible.
- Take the water at boiling point with little salt and add the freshly cut vegetables. It makes the vegetables from losing Vitamin C and Vitamin B-complex.Boiling for long time or in large quantities will drain the healthy benefits of vegetables.
- Take only minimum water that covers the vegetables. Tender greens do not required water to cook.
- Cover the vegetables tightly during cooking. Make sure that it does not meet the atmospheric air.
- Cook only for a short time. Make sure that the foods are soft to touch for easy mastication. Eat while it is hot.
- Aluminum is a soft metal, which acts along with alkalis and acids. When cooking in aluminum utensils, small particles of aluminum enter the stomach. It leads to digestive and intestinal disorders.
A person should take minimum of “280 grams of vegetables” per day. Out of the 280 grams, 40% should be leafy vegetables. 30% of roots and tubers. Ladies finger, brinjal and other vegetables shall contribute the remaining 30 percent.
Vitamin A is important for vitality, healthy skin, eyesight, growth and immunity especially for the protection of respiratory tract. Carotene is a component in the vegetable, it transforms into vitamin A in the body.
Deficiency of vitamin A leads to various eye disorders, loss of appetite, skin disorders and frequent colds.
Green leafy vegetables, papaya, carrots, tomatoes and yellow pumpkin are a good source for carotene.
Vitamin B-complex is helps in healthy growth and maintenance of eyes, hair, skin and nails. Riboflavin is the main component of vitamin B-complex. Turnip greens, fenugreek leaves, and beet greens contains ample amounts of riboflavin.
Deficiency of riboflavin leads to premature wrinkles, eczema and cracking at the angles of mouth.
Vitamin C is important for maintenance of body tissues and normal growth. Especially,it is important for maintaining healthy nature of bones, joints, teeth, and gums. It also plays a major role in protecting the body against various infections.
Vitamin C is present in most of the fresh vegetables. However, tomatoes, bitter guard, Indian gooseberry and leafy vegetables like cabbage, drumstick leaves and spinach contain ample amounts of vitamin C.
Deficiency of vitamin C leads to premature ageing, anemia, scurvy, tooth decay and bleeding of gums.
Minerals also play a major role in giving energy and healthy maintenance of the body. They help in regulating acid-base balance. In addition, they help in complete absorption of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and vitamins from the food.
Minerals also eliminate unwanted liquids and salts from the body. Diuretic actions of the vegetables are important in healing edema, heart and kidney conditions.
Calcium and iron are the major minerals present in vegetables. Calcium strengthens the teeth and bones. Iron is important in formation of blood. It is the main component of hemoglobin, which carries oxygen to various cells in the body. Leafy vegetables contain ample amounts of calcium and iron. Carrot, bitter guard, tomatoes and onions are a good source for iron.
Fresh vegetable juices facilitate and provide the cells and tissues with all the core nutritional enzymes and elements they need. Juices are in a nature that helps in instant assimilation and digestion in comparison to the whole foods.
Juices are the best way to overcome vitamin and mineral deficiency.
All the vegetables make great juice. There are few juices that are beneficial than the others. There are three main types of vegetable juices. They are as following:
- Vegetable fruit juices: cucumber and tomatoes
- Green leafy vegetable juices: Cabbage, celery, spinach, lettuce and parsley
- Root vegetable juices: Carrot, radish, beetroot, potato and onion.
It is recommended to juice separately. Some vegetables, because of their properties might become toxic when mixed. Vegetable fruit juices can be combined with juices of green leafy vegetables.
Juices easily carry away and eliminate the toxic wastes from the body. They also sooth the nervous system.
Vegetable juices functions better when taken after the meals. At least half an hour or more should be given from the time of meals. It should not be taken during meals or with other fruit juices.
As mentioned earlier, vegetables play a major role in healing many diseases. Vegetable kingdom has numerous sedatives, soporifics, and laxatives in different manners.
Below are few examples of vegetables and their curative values.
- Radish and onion are excellent for enhancing nerves.
- Carrots are highly beneficial for blood and eyesight.
- White crisp juice stalks of celery helps in treating various nervous disorders.
- Dandelion and spinach treats kidney disorders.
- Lettuce is helpful in overcoming insomnia. Onion treats constipation, cold, cough, influenza, scurvy and hydrophobia.
- Fenugreek leaves treat indigestion, sluggish liver and flatulence.
- Garlic is a great deal in relieving from hypertension, heart diseases, diabetes, hypoglycemia and meningitis. In addition, it also lowers blood cholesterol level and prevents from clotting of blood.
Vegetables and vegetable juices are highly effective in treating numerous digestive and intestinal disorders. Vegetable fibers act as natural mechanical intestinal expanders. They help in drawing more water and proteins, which help in easy expulsion of wastes. Besides, they also protect intestines from harmful gems and prevent habitual constipation.
Beet roots, carrots, cabbage, cucumbers, beans and green peas act as cellulose fibers and help in eliminating harmful germs. They also help in treating arteriosclerosis, constipation and hypertension.
However, in case of intestinal inflammation tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce and other vegetable juices are recommended. These foods contain mild amounts of cellulose.
Brinjal, pumpkin, radish and beetroot contains pectin. Pectin kills harmful bacteria and toxins and eliminates them from the body. In addition, pectin also absorbs water. Vegetables like onion, radish, mint and garlic contain pectin in anti-microbe quantities.
Vegetables are also highly effective in treating blood disorders. The trace elements if vegetables play a major role. Iodine is a trace element that is important in the functioning of thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormones regulate most of the physical and mental abilities. Cobalt is a great deal in increasing blood corpuscles. Zinc is essential for healthy growth.
The beneficial aspects of vegetables are higher than any other sources in the world. One thing that everyone does is eat vegetables.
You can ask yourself why do you fall sick or do not heal even after eating proper vegetables.
The answer is improper intake of vegetables. Preserved foods, unhealthy junk foods or over cooked foods remove the energy values from vegetables. Not only that, they also contain toxic elements, which harm the body.
So, to optimize the benefits of the vegetables, do eat fresh juices and vegetables.
Eat healthy and stay happy.