In Ayurveda, this is known as vatarakta. This is a painful metabolic disease resulting in inflammation and chalky deposits in the joints due to disturbance of the purine metabolism in the body.
Impairment of digestion and metabolism because of the intake of mutually contradictory food articles and non-elimination of the causation of this disease.
The characteristic features of this disease are the involvement of the big toe in the beginning which becomes actually painful and swollen. Gradually, other joints are involved and the patient experiences difficulty in every type of moving.
Since this disease is caused by vata, in the beginning, panchatikta ghrita is given to the patient in a dose of two teaspoonfuls twice daily, on empty stomach, mixed with warm milk.
This should be continued for about 15 days.
for external application Guduchyadi taila is to be given.
Kaishora Guggulu is the drug for the treatment of this condition.
It is given in a dose of five tablets three times a day. This should be followed by 60 ml. of decoction of manjistha.
bowels of the patient should be kept clear, and if required the powder of haritaki should be given to the patient in a dose of two teaspoonfuls at bedtime with warm water.
The root bark of ashattha tree is useful in this condition. In a decoction form, it is given in a dose of 50 ml daily.
Freshly harvested rice and wheat should not be given to the patient. Old rice, wheat, moong dal, garlic, onion, bitter gourd, papaya and green banana can be taken by the patient.
Curd and any other sour articles of food, heavy food articles, and fried things are strictly prohibited.
The patient should not perform any violent exercise. He should not sit idle either. Exposure to cold water and rain and cold water bath are strictly contraindicated.
Natural Treatment Chart and Prevention Plan for Gout
Treatment Chart and Prevention Plan for Gout
I. Fasting Therapy:
No better remedy then a FAST. The patient should under take a fast for 5 to 7 days on orange juice and water. Some times the condition may worsen in early stages of fasting when uric acid, dissolved by juices, is thrown into blood stream for elimination. This usual clears up if fasting is continued. In severe cases it is advisable to undertake a series of short fasts for 3 days. A warm water enema should be usually daily during period of fasting cleanse the bowels.
After the acute symptoms of gout sub sides patient may adopt all fruit diet for further 3 to 4 days. In this regime, he should have 3 meals a day of juicy fruit such as grapes, apples, peaches, orange and pineapples.
II. Diet – Cure Chart:
A. Breakfast: Fruits of any kind such as orange, apples, figs, mangoes etc.
and milk with wheat bread.
B. Lunch: Steamed vegetables such as beet, carrot, tomatoes, cabbage,
potatoes, chappatis and butter milk.
C. Dinner: Sprouts such as alfalfa, mung, salad and whole wheat bread.
Avoid: Meat, egg & fish, Tea, Coffee, Sugar, White Flour and their products, canned and processed foods, spices and salt should be little cauliflower, spinach.
Highly Beneficial Foods:
Potatoes, banana, leafy green vegetables, raw vegetables, carrot, beet, lemon, cucumber, apple, pineapple.
III. Hydro Therapy:
A. Epson Salt foot bath
B. Cold pack at night apply to affected joint.
IV. Auto Suggestion:
1. Every day in Every way, I am getting better & better.
2. God is Almighty, God is merciful, HE is healing me of gout, with thanks,
and in full faith so be it.
Repeat this affirmation as many times as you can. Especially early in the morning when you get up and when you go to the bed.
Gout (painful bony joint)
This type of disease refers to the form of inflammation of joints and also swellings. Mostly this disease attacks middle aged men and sometimes women after menopause. This disease is also called as painful bony joint.
Causes and symptoms:
- Commonly this type of disease begins by the acute pain in the big toe.
- This even affects the joints like the knees and the wrists.
- This occurs mostly during midnight or early in the morning, when the patient is disturbed in his sleep.
- This disease, remains with pain even for a weak. Mean while the slight fever may also occurs the patient.
- Another symptom is the presence of kidney stones, having uric acid. In this condition kidneys do not function properly.
- The main Reason for this disease is the formation of uric acid crystals in the joints, kidneys and also in skin.
- The patient affected from this disease, uric acid in the blood will be more than in normal and passes out by the kidneys in the urine.
- When uric acid fills the blood in large quantity, it can’t be dissolved in the blood . If forms as the crystals in the needle shaped , in the joints, skin kidneys.
- Gout may also occur because of the habitual usage of alcoholic drinks, more eating’s of such foods containing protein and carbo hydrates very much.
- It may even occur because of lack of regular and proper exercises, physical as well as mental stress.
- Raw vegetables combined juices by carrot, beetroot and cucumber are beneficial to his disease, when taken daily once or twice for a weak.
- The patient may use bananas daily as his food for a weak.
- Apples are also good remedy , when gouts occurs because they contain malic acid in them .Apples thus used, neutralizes the uric acid and gives relief from pain to the patients.
- Lime juice is also protective against gout . Because limejuice contains the Vitamin C and also the citric acid which is solvent of the uric acid . Lime juice may be taken daily twice for a couple of days for the recovery from the disease.
- The use of orange juice is the best remedy for gout , of all.
- Epsom salts Baths are very beneficial to the sufferers of this disease.
- Walk in fresh air and out door exercise are needful for the patients , suffered by the gouts.
The patient should avoid the usage of such food containing uric acid products.
- It is better not to use the eggs, meat and etc.
- The patient has to avoid the usage of coffee, tea and also white flour products.
Juice fasting for Gout
Juices of Sour Cherries, Pineapple, Tomato, Cucumber, Beet, Carrot, Celery, and Spinach are useful in this condition. Three to one-week juice fasting will give good results.
Sour Cherries Juice for Gout
Pineapple Juice for Gout
Tomato Juice for Gout
Cucumber Juice for Gout
Beet Juice for Gout
Carrot Juice for Gout
Celery Juice for Gout
Spinach Juice for Gout
If you are in a juice fasting, then you have to take these juices in every three hours.You may take juices five to six times a day. 300 ml of water with 30 grams of honey may be taken the first thing in the morning on arising. After that, the prescribed juice may be taken at three-hourly intervals. The quantity of juice on each time should be 300 ml, and you can increase it to 600 ml gradually. The juice fasting may continue up to forty days without any ill-effects. You should take adequate rest during the raw juice fasting.