- “Mudra” is a Sanskrit word. It means a seal or sign. Gyan mudra is a hand mudra. In this post” Gyan mudra” I have listed Gyan mudra benefits, How to do, Duration, Precaution, Side effects and also variations. We can call it prime mudra in hand mudras.
What exactly Gyan mudra means?
The word “Gyan” is a Sanskrit word. It means Knowledge. The practice of this mudra enhances knowledge and brain power.
How does Gyan mudra help to gain knowledge?
The practice of Gyan Mudra increases Vaya (air).Vayu(oxygen) plays a major role in brain development and neurotransmission. It also strengthens creativity and gives new thoughts. The practice of this mudra literally develop brain and it’s function.
Other names of Gyan mudra:
- Dhyan Mudra( Meditation mudra)
- Vayu-vardhak mudra.
- Jnana Mudra.
Variations of Gyan mudra
- Abhaya Gyan mudra.
- Vairagya mudra.
- Chin mudra
- Chinmaya mudra
- Purna Gyan mudra
- Vayu-vardhak mudra
How to do
- First, sit in any comfortable position. (Padmasana is best).
- Join the tips of index finger and thumb finger.
- Apply little pressure.
- Do with both the hands.
Gyan Mudra Benefits
- The Therapeutic uses Gyan mudra
The major therapeutic use of this mudra is it increases the Vayu(Air) element. Vaya is the primary element in Ayurvedic Vata Dosha. Due to its effect on Vayu, we call this mudra as Vayu-vardhak mudra.
This mudra helps to overcome Vata deficiency and also heals diseases caused by Vata deficiency.
- It increases air element within your body. Helps in improving brain functions and leads to evolutions and spiritual enlightenment.
- The practice of this mudra stimulates the Brain, and all the nervous system is strengthened.
- It also facilitates movements of electrical impulses along nerves.
- This strengthens the pituitary gland that helps to improve the entire system of endocrine glands.
- Vayu-vardhak mudra strengthens all the muscles in the body.
- Other benefits of Gyan mudra are, It reinforces vocal cords, heart, renders the skin and mucous membranes to dry, gives the joints and articular cartilage dry.
Vayu plays a major role in the bodily humour Vata. Increasing air element in the body strengthens Vata humour. If you are in Vata deficiency, this mudra is a natural remedy to overcome it. The persons who are having Vata dosha should do this mudra moderately.
Benefits of Gyan Mudra
- The dullness of mind
- Lack of enthusiasm or initiative creativity,
- Loss of memory,
- Deficient brain power.
- Drowsiness, lethargy, mental retardation,
- Alzheimer’s disease,
- Hypoadrenalism these
- Muscular disorders like myopathies, myasthenia gravies, paresis, paralysis(viz paralytic squint, ptosis, facial palsy, vocal paralysis, respiratory paralysis, monoplane, paraplegia, hemiplegia, quadriplegia, etc.)
Forty-five minutes of practice is enough to get the best benefits of Gyan mudra. You can do it at any place or anytime.
Other Variations of Gyan Mudra:
According to the placement of your hand the name and benefits of this mudra changes. Here are the important variations of this mudra
The practice of the above mudra enables the practitioner to develop the virtue of fearlessness.
How to do:
Sits in Padmasana and hands rise half in Gyan mudra. You can see it in the picture
It will help you to get free from fear and anxiety.
The word “Vairagya” is a Sanskrit word . It means detachment. In the path of spirituality detachment from the worldly things are very important. Vairagya mudra is very much helpful for the people who are on a spiritual path.
Purana Gyan Mudra:
The word Dhyan means meditation. When Gyan mudra is used in meditation it is called as Dhyan mudra. It is highly beneficial to get rapid progress in meditation. It is a famous Buddhist mudra.
This mudra helps the Yogis to improve their concentration while doing meditation. Both hands are on the knees, right on the left side, palms up.
How to do Dhayan mudra
- Put your left hand on your knees and place it palm up.
- Place the right back of the hand on the left palm of the hand.
- Lightly touch the ends of the thumbs to form a hollow sphere.
- Hold this mudra for 5 to 10 minutes in front of the navel.
Dhyana Mudra has other names like Yoga Mudra or Samadhi Mudra.
Side Effects Of Gyan Mudra
If you feel you need more information, please leave a comment or contact me.