poor nutrition, poor digestion, imbalance if nerves system, accumulation of physical and mental stress, lower immunity, intoxicating accumulating tissues and blocking circulation, disruption of natural biological reams, all these may lead to insomnia.Yoga therapy and natural ways of treatment are very effective at removing the imbalances and normalising the system.Our aim in giving natural treatment is to enliven the body and self-repair ability not only to cure insomnia but also to prevent disorders and create the high state of health and well-being.Symptoms of insomnia
Symptoms of insomnia are
Insomnia or sleeplessness nowadays become very common in upper class people or working people who experiences stress on daily basis to due to work.
Insomnia is very serious issue which is not considered as a disease by many people. If we a person is suffering from insomnia, it deprives his mental rest and thereby interferes with his activities in the day time.This will inturn will turn to a severe health problems when it becomes habit.
Having a good sleep is very important to the body for its efficient functioning. Proper sleep gives relief from tension, rest the brain and body to rejuvenate.
We feel relaxed and energized after a proper sleep.Insomnia is common elderly for various reason . Now it is being noticed in younger people due to change in lifestyle and work in modern times.
1. Unable to get sleep in time after going to bed. Dramatic changes in the duration and quality of sleep,persistent changes in sleep patterns should be considered as warning sign of Insomnia.
2. Lapses of memory due lack of sleep.
3.Lack of concentration during the day and work.
5.Loss of co-ordination,confusion and lingering feeling of indifference.
Treatment Chart & Prevention Plan for Insomnia
- Fasting Therapy:
Adopt an all fruit diet for 3 or 4 days at beginning of treatment. In this regimen he should have 3 meals a day of fresh juicy fruits such as orange, grapes, apples, peaches, pineapple. The bowel should be cleansed daily with warm water enema during the period.
- Diet Cure Chart:
After all fruit diet, patient may follows a modified eating pattern in which breakfast should consist of fresh & dried fruits, seed and yogurt. Of the two main meals, one should consist of a large mixed salad & other protein food. A cup of luke warm milk with honey at bed time as this milk induces sleep. The last meal at least 3 hours before going to bed.
- Avoid: White flour products, sugar, tea, coffee, chocolate, cold drink, alcohol, fatty foods, fried foods, preservatives, colouring & flavouring excessive use of salt and strong condiments.
- Highly Beneficially foods: Aniseed (saunf), cumin seed (Jeera), Nutmeg (Jaiphal), Lettuo (Salad patta), Honey, milk.
- Hydro Therapy:
- Cold spinal bath b. Hot & cold foot bath c. Hot water Bath immediately before going to bed.
- Massage Therapy:
- Head Massage B. Foot Massage.
- General Treatment of Whole Body:
- Specific Treatment of Brain:
Perform thumb walking procedure for two minutes, repeat twice day.
- Before Sleep:
Firmly clench teeth & tightly clasp (inter lock) fingers for long as
possible, release tension.
- Mudra Therapy:
- Formation of Gyan Mudra:
Simply touch the top of thumb with index finger. Pressing is not necessary. It removes the ill effect caused due to tension. Sleeplessness can be cured by regular practice of gyan mudra.
- Formation of Pran Mudra:
Bend the little finger and bring the finger so that their tip touch the tip (front edge) of thumb. Remaining two fingers remain straight at ease. If only gyan mudra does not help to cure sleep senses completely then combination of gyan and pran mudra is advised.
- Auto Suggestion:
- Every day in every way, I am getting better and better.
- God is almighty, God is merciful, HE is healing me of sleeplessness with thanks & in full faith so be it.
Repeat this affirmation as many times as you can. Especially early morning when you get up and while you are going to sleep.
Home Remedy For Insomnia
• An effective way to treat insomnia would be to have milk form the poppy seeds. Extract 30 grams of milk from poppy seeds and add some sugar to it. Have this mixture everyday after dinner.
• Grind four nutmegs to make a fine powder out of it. Have this powder every night before going to sleep.
• Insomnia can be treated following the same routine i.e. try to sleep at a fixed time every night and wake up at a fixed time in the morning. This would set a sleeping schedule.
• Hot fomentations help to solve the problem of insomnia. Apply hot packs to the spine and have hot footbath before going to bed.
• Intake a cup of milk with honey. This is effective in curing insomnia.
• Grind the root of pippali (Piper longum) plant to make a fine powder. Every night, have 1 tsp of this powder along with jaggery and a glass of warm milk.
• Take a ripe banana and mash it. Add roasted cumin seeds to it and mix properly. Consume this mashed mix before going to sleep.
• Extract fresh juice of valerian wallichi. Intake 1 tsp of this every night before going to sleep.
• Do regular exercise or partake in some physical activities everyday. This would /solve the problem of insomnia. Walking, jogging, skipping and swimming are the good exerc
ises for treating insomnia.
• Mix 1 tsp each of juice of celery leaves with stalks and honey. Consume this mixture everyday.
• Consuming raw onion salad everyday can solve the problem of sleep.
• Combine 2 tsp of fenugreek leaves juice with 1 tsp of honey. Have this combination at bed times daily.
• It is advisable to have 3 cups of curd everyday for people suffering from lack of sleep.
• In a cup of boiling water, add 1 tsp each of chamomile flowers, hops and valeria. Let it steep for 45. Thereafter, strain the drink and have it an hour before sleeping.
• Combine bottle gourd juice and sesame oil in equal parts. Massage this combination on the scalp every night.
• Alternatively, cooked leaves of the bottle gourd can be taken as a vegetable. This is also helpful in curing insomnia.
• Increase in the consumption of vitamin B foods such as wholegrain cereals, pulses, and nuts. These are effective in treating insomnia.
• In half a liter of water, ad one tablespoon of lettuce seeds. Boil this concoction until it reduces to 1/3rd quantity. Have this decoction when warm.
• Boil 375 ml of water. Add a tsp of aniseed and cover the lid of the pan. Let it simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the decoction and drink when warm. Hot milk and honey can also be added to the tea.
• Mix 0.25 gm to 0.5 gm of rauwolfia with some scented substance like cardamom. If the problem is chronic, double the intake, one in the morning and one in the evening.
Mudra for Insomnai:
Mudra therapy is very effective and instant treatment for insomnia.
Insomnia: Vaayu-shaamak or Vaayu mudra , Kapha-Kaarak or Pitta-naashak mudra, Vaata-naashak mudra, Prithvi-vardhak or Prithvi mudra
Gyan mudra is very useful for insomnia,
Yoga is useful in two ways for insomnia.Firstly yoga treatment helps tone up the glandular, respiratory and nerves system. Secondly yoga also gives physical and mental relaxation. The yoga asanas which are use full for insomnia is shirsasana, Sarvangasana, taschimottanasana, uttanasana, viparitakarni and savasana.
Deep breathing techniques like bhastrika pranayama is very useful for insomnia.
Some lifestyle adjustments which will give excellent results are given below:
Regular exercise gives body and new energy.
Maintaining eating and sleeping schedules is very useful.
Wake up in the early morning.
Yogic massage will give an effective result.
Avoid tea, coffee and soft drinks at night.
Eat easily digestible food three hours before going to bed.
Avoid day napping.
Avoid coffin, cigarettes and alcohol.
Sleeplessness and nervous disorders are common in today. By slight changes in diet and practicing simple yoga asanas, you can easily overcome this problem.
Keep the bowls clean, Increase intake of fruit, fruit juices, and milk.
Yoga asanas like Surya namaskar, Paschimottanasana, Ushtrasana, Makarasana, Dhanurasana, Halasana, Sarvangasana, Sheetali, Kapalbhati and Nadishodhana, followed by yoga Nidra for half an hour. Avoid sleeping in the afternoon and practice early rising.
Juice fasting for Insomnia
Insomnia or sleeplessness is one of the troubling health. problems of the modern time.Don’t worry juice fasting for a week will give you instant relief. Fasting is the best healing practice from the ancient times but pure water fasting is very difficult , but juice fasting is effective than pure water fasting and a little bit easy anyone can practice it. Juice therapy or juice fasting Here I am sharing few important juices that are helpful to heal Insomnia or sleeplessness. One week juice fasting is very effective to get rid of this problem. Juice of apple , grape , lemon, carrot, lettuce , celery is very effective in the treatment of Insomnia.
Ayurveda Remedies For Sleeplessness
Causes for Insomnia
In Ayurveda when we talk about any disease we consider the root cause of the problem.According to Ayurveda, there is biological rhythm for our body.Both physical body and the brain have this biological rhythm.The chemicals the changes is biologically moving from the time we have taking breath and this continues to untile we die. If there is any interruption or disruption in this biological rhythm then it can cause problems in our sleep patterns.
According to Ayurveda, sleep is very important for any individual to stay healthy.Especially for the mind because the mind is nourished by sleep.Sleep is the diet of the mind like our body requires food to survive the mind requires sleep to survive.
Another factor that can cause insomnia is working conditions.People working in night shifts for example again disturbance the biological rhythm.The night is made for sleep as the night comes our body calls for a sleep.If we try to stay awake this will cause a disturbance in our biological rhythm. This is why that they have found in clinical studies that many people fall asleep in their night shifts. In Japan, they also found out people who work long hours infront of computers also have difficults in falling sleep.So these are different temporary insomnia factors.
Sometimes the partner may be the cause Insomnia. It is possible the person whom you are sleeping in the same room may snore.
During aging in males and females, there are also hormonal changes which can lead to Insomnia.It is rightly mentioned in Ayurveda that one becomes old then Vata is aggravated. Vata is a very important factor in insomnia.
In Ayurveda, specifically mentioned about childhood insomnia.We see a lot of patients who are suffering from insomnia.Because of when they were the little child they were not trained to go to bed properly at the proper time. It leads to developing this habit in them which we called in sanskara.Samskara means a habit, which is formed in the subconscious mind as a result of repeatedly performing the same activity.So when we have children in our house we must train them to go to bed early otherwise it is difficult for them to change this habits when they grow older.
This formula applies to any other habits.We should make sure that five years or below five years is the time to try to teach them all the good habits.Like the daily routine and night routines, eating habits.Because when we grow older it is too late and in the old age it is very difficult to change this habit.
Ayurvedic home remedies for Insomnia
One thing is very good about Ayurveda that the solutions are always very simple.When we understand the causes of the disease solutions are not difficult. In insomnia we have to understand the cause is either rajes or tames. The solution is we should eat sattvic foods we should pertain sattvic lifestyle.Sattvic lifestyle is more calming, relaxing and meditational. All these kind of activities are beneficial to get sleep well.
The solutions we have to take care are suppressing excess of Vata.Which is very easily done by doing a massage in the head with oil, Oil massage is the head and all over the body.Especially if you want to sleep nicely rub some sesame oil or almond oil in your head.Also, it is very nice to put two drops to mustard oil in your ears, before going to bed.Aall this oiling is the best solution to suppress Vata.
Foot massage is also beneficial to get sound sleep.You can do a foot massage with ghee or any other oil half an hour before you are going to sleep.
Diet also plays an important role in suppressing Vata.In your diet, you should try to make changes. Like, do no eat dry and ruff always eat warm, cooked and lubricated foods.