Parsvakonasana(Lateral Angle Posture)
Parsva means lateral, Kona means angle. In the final position of the posture, the body forms an angle by the sideways.
How to do Parsvakonasana
Sthiti: Stand erect in a straight line keeping the heels together and toes a little apart. Expand the chest and drop the shoulders to a relaxed position. Keep the neck straight. Fingers together, facing downward and palms stretched along the thighs by the sides. Relaxed face.
- Take the right leg apart from the left approximately 1 to 1.5 metres. Both the feet are parallel to each other (while inhaling).
- Turn the right foot towards the right side at 90 degrees, without turning the body.
- Bend towards the right side, keeping the right thigh parallel to the ground. Place the right palm on the right side of the right feet, with fingers together and facing outside. The right side of the body should touch the right thigh(while exhaling ).
- Raise the left arm up biceps touching the left ear, keeping the arm straight and gaze at the fingertips(normal breathing). This is the final posture.
- Bring the left hand back and place it on the left thigh (while inhaling).
- Slowly come up, keeping the right feet as it is (while inhaling).
- Turn the right 90 degrees to left(while exhaling).
- Bring the right leg closer to the left leg(while exhaling).
- . Repeat the same with another side.
Benefits of Parsvakonasana(Lateral Angle Posture):
- Expands thoracic muscles.
- Strengthens calves, forehands, biceps, ankle, knee, wrist and shoulder joints.
- Stretches and relaxes thighs.
- Useful in treating diabetes, constipation and pain in foreleg and ankle joints.
- Builds a feeling of expansiveness and relaxation.
- Increases the overall stamina.
- Regular practise will give a big impact on infertility.
- Stimulating the abdominal organs.
- It is an excellent remedy for the painful inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
- Enhances lung capacity and abdominal breathing.
- Reduces overall fat.
- Excellent pose for the displacement of the spinal discs problems.
- Cures kidney problems.
Mode of bending :
While bending down bend down sidewards avoiding forward bending.
The weight of the body should fall on the front leg and not on the hand.
Gaze along the left palm.
Mode of Breathing: Breathe out whenever you bend sidewards and inhale while coming up. Normal Breathing in the final position.
if you have any of the following problems please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.