The Superman Pose is similar to a flying superman high in the air. This is where this yoga posture gets its nickname. viparita = inverted / reversed ; shalabh = locust ; asana = pose /posture It is pronounced as Vip -a – RHEETH- uh shah – lah -BHAAHS – uh- nuh
How to do Superman Pose?
1. Lie on your stomach with your toes flat on the floor; chin is resting on the ground.
2. Keep your legs close together with your feet lightly touching each other.
3. Now stretch your arms out to the front as far as you can.
4. Take a deep breath in and now lift your chest, arms, legs and thighs off the floor. You resemble a flying superhero
– Superman! Spread the smile on your face – superheroes are always happy, especially in flight. Rather than making an effort to raise your hands and legs more, make a gentle effort to stretch your arms and legs away from your torso. So, feel the pull that is occurring at both ends. Ensure that your elbows and knees are not bent.
5. Keep breathing with awareness; keeping your attention on the stretch.
6. As you exhale, gently lower your chest, arms and legs.
Benefits of Superman Pose:
1. Stretches and strengthens the muscles of the chest, shoulders, arms, legs, abdomen and the lower back.
2.Tones the abdomen and lower back.
3.Massages the spine and keeps the back supply.
4.Helps stretch the chest
5.Improves blood circulation
6. Also works at the mind level – when you take off, you can’t but stay in the present moment. Even if you want to, you can’t think about any problem!
7.Can be a good workout for the abs and stomach.
Do not practice this yoga posture if you have had abdominal surgery recently or
if you are pregnant.