Healthy functioning of respiratory organs is vital in keeping fresh both the body and mind. The disturbance in the respiratory organs gives rise to a lot of inconveniences. Pneumonia is one such respiratory disorder.
In pneumonia, the air sacs in the lungs are inflamed which fill may fill them with fluids. Anyone can be a victim of pneumonia. There are many many causes of the disease. Especially cases like asthma,COPD, and other chronic diseases are more prone to pneumonia.
Symptoms of pneumonia may be mild or severe. It depends on the age, health and the type of pneumonia.
A cough, sometimes yellow, greenish or bloody mucus
High or mild fever
Chest pains gets worse with deep breathing or a cough
Low energy and loss of appetite
Confusion in old ages
Primary causes of pneumonia
In the case of pneumonia, home remedies help a lot. As they do not contain any chemicals except the components in the natural form. Most of the natural home remedies help in treating it from the core and also bring in preventive measures.
Home Remedies for Pneumonia
Turmeric is the one of the most ancient and beneficial natural herbs. It acts as antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal, and antiviral. It is very efficient in treating turmeric.
Take a teaspoon of turmeric and add it to the glass of warm water or milk. Add a pinch of salt and drink it every day before going to bed.
2. Cayenne pepper
Cayenne pepper helps in releasing the mucus from the respiratory tract. It makes thus regulates healthy and easy breathing. Take a jug with 250 ml of water and add a tsp of lemon juice. Sprinkle cayenne pepper and drink it for four to five times in a day.
3. Fenugreek tea
Fenugreek facilitates the elimination of toxins through body perspiration. It clears the chest congestion. Take one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and add it to 500ml of water in a pan. Boil and then strain the liquid and then add a teaspoon of lemon juice. Drink about four cups in a day.
Garlic is an agent which helps a hot component for the body. It helps in reducing body temperature. It helps in clearing lungs and chest, and it may leave bad breath.
Take few cloves of garlic, make a paste and rub it on the feet or put on the socks before going to bed.
Take 1 ½ teaspoons of garlic paste and blend it with milk and water (1:4). Boil it till it reaches to ¼. Drink it three times in a day.
5. Pleurisy root
Pleurisy root is one of the best remedies to treat pneumonia. It reduces inflammation of pleural membranes of the lungs. It improves the
secretion of healthful lung fluids and is also a lymphatic system stimulant. It also helps in treating chronic coughing, influenza, and bronchitis.
6. Potassium broth
Potassium broth is the good remedy for lung disorders. It repairs the tissues in the lungs. The potassium is also essential in standard amounts during the spell of pneumonia.
7. Carrot juice
The carrot adds antioxidants to damaged tissues. It contains calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium. Vitamin A and B complex. These are an excellent source to treat pneumonia and related lung disorders.
Parsnips are rich in vitamins and potassium. It is a great deal in treating pneumonia. Take a glass of fresh parsnip juice every day
9. Lemon juice
Lemon juice contains antibacterial properties. It is rich in vitamin C. These reduce the temperature of the body and boosts the immune system.
10. Tea tree and Eucalyptus oils
Both tea tree and eucalyptus oils contain antibacterial properties. These eliminate the germs that are responsible for pneumonia. Eucalyptus oils break mucus in the lungs, thus removing congestion.
Stir 5 drops of tea tree or eucalyptus oils in boiled water. Inhale the steam from the hot water. Repeat this three times a day.
Astragalus or Huang qi enhances the immune system. It also provides great relief from inflammations.
Take a cup of shredded astragalus root and add it to a liter of water. Soak overnight and heat and later simmer for 30 minutes the next morning. Take this into a container and add ¼ cup of cloves to preserve it. Consume one or two tablespoons in a day.
Echinacea is one of the beasts antibacterial herb. It also helps in boosting the immune system and reduces the mucus in the lungs.
Take 1 teaspoon of echinacea, ¼ teaspoon of spearmint and lemongrass each. Steep it for 10 minutes and honey and drink the syrup. Take it two to three times in a week.
Mullen is one of the natural herbs to treat respiratory disorders. It kills viruses that cause bacteria and also loosens the phlegm. Thus it relieves from congestion and treats pneumonia.
Pregnant women and those with kidney problems should consult a doctor before using this remedy.
Take two teaspoons of mullein leaves and flowers and add it to a cup of boiled water. Simmer for five minutes, remove the tea and steep for 10 minutes. Drink it once a day and inhale the steam.
Goldenseal relieves from congestion and removes mucus. It also strengthens the immune system and soothes the irritated throat muscles.
In the case of diabetes or heart disorders, consult a doctor in advance.
Take two teaspoons of dried goldenseal root and boil it a two cups of water. Reduce the heat and simmer the liquid for 15 minutes. Cool it down and drink three times a day.
15. Pleurisy Root
Pleurisy root is rich in resin and Asclepiads. These reduces the inflammation of the lungs and improves perspiration. It detoxifies the body.
Pregnant, breastfeeding women and those with heart problems should avoid this remedy.
Take a teaspoon of pleurisy root and boil it in a cup of water. Steep it for 20 minutes, strain and then drink it. Practice this for three times a day.
Elecampane plays a great role in breaking mucus and relieving from lung congestion. It also helps in treating chronic chest congestion, bronchitis, tuberculosis, and cough.
Pregnant women shall avoid this remedy.
Add a teaspoon of pleurisy root to a cup of boiling water. Steep it for 20 minutes, strain and then drink the liquid.
17. Oregano oil
Oregano oil contains antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. These kill the toxic matter responsible for pneumonia and also thins mucus.
Add two to three drops of oregano oil to a glass of vegetable juice or water and drink it.
18. Vegetable juices
Fresh and organic juices of beet, carrot, cucumber, and parsnip are rich in chlorine, and phosphorus. These enhance the immune system, removes mucus, lung congestion and detoxifies the body. They also help in treating lung, bronchial disorders including pneumonia.
Drinking standard amount of water, 8-oz a day is a must. It supports hydration level and also in dealing pneumonia.
20. Gargle salt water
Gargling with salt water, for at least three times a day clears respiratory tract, It also clears a cough from the chest.
21. Steam bath
Steam bath with essential oils like lavender, camphor, eucalyptus or tea tree is very effective in treating pneumonia. During the bath, close the door and inhale the fumes.
22. Baking soda
Baking soda eliminates toxins from the body. Take ¼ tsp of baking soda and add it to 300 ml of warm water. Drink it twice in a day.
23. Mustard Pack
A mustard pack is an effective antioxidant agent. It helps in opening the pores on the skin. Apply mustard pack on the chest for 20 minutes, two times in a week.
24. Plantain Tea
Plantain tea is often referred to as the mother of all herbs. The leaves contain purifying properties that treat lung infections.
Take equal amounts of plantain herbs and thyme herbs and add it to a 150 ml of boiling water. Steep the mixture for few minutes and drink it five times a day.
25. Elder Flower Tea
Elderflower tea contains antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. It is also rich in vitamin A and C. These play a great role in relieving from pneumonia and its symptoms.
Take 4 grams of dry elderflower and add it to 150 ml of boiled water. Steep it for 20 minutes. Drink ½ a cup a week.
Healing Pneumonia Naturally
Fasting Therapy for Pneumonia: At the beginning of the treatment the patient should be kept on a diet of raw juices for five to ten days, depending on the severity of the disease. He should take a glass of fruit or vegetable juice diluted with warm water, every two or three hours. After a diet of raw juices, when the fever subsides, the patient should spend three or four days on an exclusive fresh fruit diet, taking three meals a day of juicy fruits. Thereafter, he may gradually adopt a well-balanced diet of natural foods, with emphasis on fresh fruits and raw vegetables. The patient should be given a warn-water enema daily to cleanse the bowels during the period of raw juice therapy and the all-fruit diet and thereafter when necessary.
Home Remedy for Pneumonia
- In the early stages of pneumonia, the best treatment would be to have tea prepared from fenugreek seeds. Have four cups of this tea everyday. Along with this, no other nourishment or food should be taken. You can reduce the quantity of intake once the condition improves.
- Garlic acts favorably in curing pneumonia. It can be added to the food prepared for the patient. Alternatively, garlic paste can also be applied over the chest. Apart from bringing down the body temperature, it tones down respiration and pulse.
- Steep 15 gm sesame seeds in 250 ml water. Mix this infusion with 1 tablespoon each of honey and linseed. Also add a pinch of table salt and consume. This is very effective in treating pneumonia.
- Carrot juice, when combined with beet and cucumber juices or spinach juice is also beneficial in curing pneumonia. In 300 ml carrot juice, mix in either 200 ml of spinach juice or 100 ml each of beet and cucumber juice.
- Another effective home remedy would be to rub some turpentine oil over the patient’s rib cage. After this, cover the area with a warm cloth.
- Extract juice of 5 to 6 Holy Basil leaves. To this, add some black pepper. Consume after every 6 hrs.
- Sesame seeds are valuable in pneumonia. An infusion of the seeds can be made by steeping 15 gm of seeds in 250 ml of water. This infusion, mixed with a tablespoon of linseed, a pinch of common salt, and a dessertspoon of honey, should be given in the treatment of this disease. This will help remove catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tubes.
- If you are a victim to pneumonia then you should increase your vitamin C intakes. One-Three grams of vitamin C will be enough for your body. Otherwise also you should take a foods containing high amounts of vitamins C, such as broccoli, brussels sprouts, red peppers, sweet potatoes, and all citrus fruits. This will help you prevent pneumonia from occurring.
- Zinc is also very good for pneumonia. A daily intake of at least 15 milligrams of zinc is necessary, otherwise people develop deficiencies. Zinc rich foods are meats, poultry, eggs, dairy products, and oysters.
- Pure tulsi oil is very good for curing pneumonia, which you will get from any good ayurvedic medicine shop. Now apply small amount of this oil on the chest of affected person.
- Take about 5-6 tulsi leaves and extract its juice. Now mix this juice with a few grind grains of black pepper at every six hours interval. This will help you cure pneumonia fast. If the above two treatments are combined and used on a person, then it could work wonders. It will produce enough heat in the body to make the person sweat. With this sweat all the effect of cold inside the body shall vanish and the patient will be cured within days.
- Fenugreek is also a good curative for pneumonia. It works the most in the initial stages of pneumonia. A tea made from fenugreek seeds will help the suffering person to produce sweat, which would help him to lower down his fever. The person can take up to four cups of the tea daily (not more than that). And this quantity can be gradually reduced as the condition starts improving. During this treatment, you must be taking no other food, as fasting and fenugreek will allow the body to correct these respiratory problems in just a few days, otherwise it would take time.
- Avoid: food that create much acidity when digested. Also foods such as rice, sugars, lentils and curds should be limited as they help the build-up of phlegm in the lungs. Good digestion also helps relieve the pressure on the major organs and as such food and drinks like strong tea, coffee, pickles and sauces which are harder to ingest should be minimized or cut out altogether.
Pneumonia, a respiratory disorder disrupts most of the daily activities. They not only disturb the life but also lead to other lung disorders. Treating them at the early stages by using home remedies are effective.
These home remedies not only treat pneumonia, but it also treats related disorders and enhances the overall health.