The neck is a very important part of the body. It is the part which is used continuously for every work we do. So, proper care of the neck is very important. These days we find a lot of problems related to the neck. These problems are caused due to many reasons Viz, wrong sitting postures, doing a lot of desk work and sitting on computer systems etc. without relaxing neck.
The following Yogic practice must be done daily. Each exercise may be repeated 6 to 8 times. During the practice, shoulders should not move at all. The mind should be continuously focussed on the neck.
How to do:
- Keeping the backbone straight, breathing out turn the head towards right looking back. Breathe in while coming to normal position. Again breathing out turn the head towards left and while breathing in come back to normal position.
- Keep the back straight. Breathing out bend the head forward and touch the chin to the chest. Gradually, breathing in raise the head fully upwards.
- Breathing out tilt the head towards the right shoulder. Breathing in come back to the normal position. Repeat the same on the left side.
- Press your right chest with your right palm. Without moving the elbow turn to right breathing out. Gradually, breathing in come to a normal position. Press the left cheek with left palm and release the right palm and repeat the same on the left side.
- Press the chin with both the palms for a few seconds. Hold the breath, in this Kriya.
- Press both the cheeks with the palms holding the breath for a few seconds.
- Press both the sides of the temple with the palms holding the breath.
- Press the center of the forehead with one palm. Gradually rotate it in a clockwise and anticlockwise direction.
- Interlock the fingers at the back of the neck. Breathing out exert the pressure by bringing both the elbows together. Breathing in come to a normal position.
- Bend the head and rotate it clockwise and anti-clockwise alternatively. Repeat 4 to 6 times.
- Rub the palms, gently massage the neck.
Regular practice of these yoga exercises will help in preventing pains, diseases, and disorders of the neck including cervical spondylitis.